Thursday, January 25, 2007

Kindergarten, PTA and Art at the Mill

Hello,

What is Art at the Mill? Well, it's a fantastic event that has been going on at my son's elementary school for several years now. This year, although I'm a rookie PTAer, I've taken on co-chairing this event. So, you ask, why do I write about this on my blog which is supposed to be about my art? Well, I haven't posted in awhile and I just to make sure that you don't think I'm just creatively blocked or slowing down.

So, while not quite making art, at least I've been thinking about artists and exposing the kids to as many cool people as I could find. I think it's going to be great and I had great time meeting so many different kinds of folks working in such a variety of mediums. We have a zendrum player, a gourd carver, a magician, a jazz saxophonist, several painters, a clay artist, glass bead artist, fiber and copper enamel bead artist, quilter, handspinner, thespian, metal sculptor (actually, same person as the zendrum player) and a watercolor batik artist. Don't you wish you could come?

Oh, and I almost forgot. My sisters and I (and my niece) went to the High Museum to see the Louvre exhibit and had a wonderful time. It was the first time I have been to an art museum/exhibit since I started drawing and painting. Definitely was a different kind of experience than before. I was much more interested in the details and the processes of how things were done, but still in awe of the beauty that the artists were able to create/convey.

We also saw High School Musical the night before at the Fox and then I got to spend the night in a hotel downtown with them. It's really the first time we have done something like that and it was awesome. We are hoping we can make it a yearly event.

So, still not creating, but it was definitely a weekend full of the Arts.

Hopefully I'll get back to my own art soon. For now I am satisfied with making PR posters and flyers for my son's school event.

Take care,

Heidi

1 comment:

Jules said...

This was always a fun day at Sedalia Park. Becca and her DH perform. What a HUGE task for you to take on as a rookie. My son always had a blast. I got to be an artist one year. It had to be postponed due to ice. The fiber artist could not make the new date because her house was being photographed for a quilt magazine. So she called me and asked me to take over. I was supposed to be her ambassador that day. I had so much fun. Good for you! It makes my heart sing to know other involved moms!