Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Art Quilts XIII Happy Dance!

Wow, I think it's the longest it has ever been without a post for me. Life just got really busy there for awhile. I had a decent show this past weekend at the Creative Arts Guild Festival in Dalton, GA. I didn't sell as much as I would have liked but I also sold more than I expected given the state of our economy. And, I had a great time seeing my sisters, my mom and step-dad, my aunts and a few other friendly faces. I grew up in Dalton, GA.

I came back home to some good news and some sad news. Good news is after several "non-acceptances" I am going to have a piece in Art Quilts XIII at the Chandler Center for the Arts in Arizona. Happy dance, happy dance, happy dance. The list of artists in the show is here.

The sad news is that Fiber on a Whim, the shop where I sometimes teach, will be closing it's brick and mortar location. They (the shops owners, Jan and Kristin) have given me so much these past three years. Their shop, their guidance, the teachers they brought in, their support of my endeavors including allowing me to teach in their shop have all been the key factors in my journey becoming an artist. I owe them so much. They will still have an online shop and you will see them traveling the shows (look for them in Houston!) to continue to support fiber and altered art and artists. The closing date of the brick and mortar store is not until sometime in October. I have a couple of classes still on the calendar for September, but after that I'll be looking around for a new studio space for teaching. I have a few options in mind but nothing settled just yet. I'll keep you posted.

Life is busy again with school, homework and PTA. I'm once again co-chairing an Arts Day at my son's elementary school and have spent most of that time this year learning about grant funding and artist in residence funding. I'm hoping that I can kill two birds with one stone, writing some grants for the school and also learning about possible grantor residence funding for myself.

I've also been spending countless hours watching the news, listening to the radio, reading the internet all in efforts to stay on top of the election this year. I'm working really hard on understanding and finding the facts and that is a job in itself. I won't get political on my blog, well, not today anyway.

Do something fun today, even if it's only for 5 minutes.

Heidi

No comments: