Monday, May 05, 2008

What I've been up to



Mostly playing around with project ideas and writing up notes for upcoming classes. I taught two classes in April at Fiber on a Whim, watercolor pastels on fabric and wet felted vessels. They are both being offered again in June. And, I'll also be teaching Sunprinting, Needle-Felting, Stamp Carving and Monoprinting. Still working on the dates and I'm still writing the notes and finalizing the projects, but I can't wait for June to get here! Once I have all of the dates I'll post the schedule here. I really enjoy teaching and sharing my passion for the fiber arts with others.

I'm obsessed with the monoprinting the last few days. I've done it before and really enjoy the process, but wanted to try out some ideas I have for the class. I made a "plate" (or a collagraph in printmaking terms) using a sheet of foam paper. I glued to this lentils, bits of foam, textured paper, tape and tin foil. I then played around with applying paints, misting with water, dry fabric versus wet fabric, using a brayer versus not, etc. so I would be able to answer all the questions that I will inevitably get! This process has just reaffirmed for me that you have to practice to get better at anything. And, practicing is the way to discover your own style and the little tricks. Here is one of the better ones from this practice session. I added a bit of colored pencil to highlight the edges of some of the collaged pieces.

Love to hear what you think! :)

Happy creating!
Heidi

2 comments:

Carol Sloan said...

Hi
I "found" your blog at Fiber On A Whim (love that place!). I love the colors that you used! What kind of paint did you use? This would be an awesome "whole cloth" approach to a piee, wouldn't it? Then just work with the images/shapes that you already have on the fabric or embellish them...actually both would work.I do love all your work and hope that I can take one of your classes this summer.

Heidi Miracle-McMahill said...

Glad you like it Carol! And I hope to see you in a class this summer. That would be great!! Monoprinting will be added to the schedule soon so keep checking!